Monday, November 12, 2012

Prayer to Zeus and Hera

 

Today I feel a calling, a stirring from long ago…  The call of the ancient Greek gods.  It has been too long.  The sacred play of the gods is older than the written word, stronger than recorded history, greater than ancient myth or spoken tale.  There is more to the story than that which humans may know.   

Zeus is the mighty thunder god, ruler of the skies, and father of mankind.  Hera is the gracious earth mother and glorious queen of heaven.  Misunderstood and misrepresented are they both now, reduced to modern day caricatures of themselves.  There is a deeper truth.  The ways of the wise ones reveal themselves to the eyes of those who are willing to see, to honor the old ones and to follow the old ways.   

Today I honor mighty Zeus and regal Hera.  Hail to the divine couple, blessed are they!  Hail immortal parents.  The forces of nature awake under your footsteps, oceans crash and mountains shake at your lovemaking, the skies thunder and brighten in your presence.  Hail!  I honor thee.  I worship thee.  I praise thee.  Mighty ones, hear my prayers!  As I fall at thy feet, may my words rise in sound to please thy ears.  I ask for thy blessings and bow my head before thee.  Praises to Zeus and Hera, King and Queen of Heaven.  Blessed are they!

No comments:

Post a Comment