Friday, October 19, 2012

Crow

For the second time this week a crow has been standing and waiting on my morning path.  Both times it was in almost exactly the same location, which leads me to think it quite possibly is the very same bird.  Today it was very close, very visible, and we were very aware of each other.  

My first thoughts were, wow, that thing is big and black.  Yeah, I know, obviously.  It's a crow lol.  I see crows quite a bit around my area.  So the sighting itself was nothing unusual.  But it is still always a surprise to me when I see one close up.  They are so present and aware.  And so large!

Today we silently eyed each other, both of us standing still on the sidewalk.  My feathered visitor then joined a second crow on the rooftop and they flew off overhead together.  I thought of Huginn and Muninn, Odin's two great black birds of "thought" and "memory."  A caw sounded off in the distance.  And thus began my day.

I've heard that birds are messengers from the Otherworld, the "Fairy Land."  I've been blessed with quite a number of winged messengers lately.  Perhaps the word is out that I am one who is open to hearing them, who will listen to what they have to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment